Sunday, February 15, 2009

TELL ME SOMETHING GOOD

SO A LOT OF PEOPLE OUT THERE ARE INSECURE. This we know, as an indisputable truth, to be a widespread phenomena that affects millions (probably billions) on levels from the mundane to the devastating. The rub, as the bard would tell it, is how these insecurities manifest themselves.

I got a call tonight from a pretty special friend of mine; "Let's-Call-Her-Michele". So Codename Michele texted me about twenty minutes ago with a hell of a spiel. It began with - and I'm paraphrasing - "I had a shitty evening tonight. I was hanging out with a friend of mine I was really jazzed to see, and she blew me off and it made me feel horrible. So horrible, in fact, that I cried myself to sleep (until she BBMed me) and decided to call you and apologize in case I'd done a similar thing." 

She seemed pretty distraught, so I tried to talk her down, but it got me thinking... Why the fuck would somebody's friend blow them off? The only reason I could think of was insecurity. My friend Codename Michele is very beautiful, and she's got a personality that can make you smile regardless of what's going on. With her or at her is a different story, but nonetheless, she's very impressive. So her cunt friend is obviously under the 8th grade impression that if I make somebody feel bad, I'll make myself feel better. I was upset, but I realized slowly that we're all guilty of similar sins. I do it all the time. Michele admitted that she did it. Her twat friend did it. My Dad does it. My friends do it (Yes, I have one or two). But at the heart of it, it's because we're not secure in our own skins. 

She asked me if she should try to be a bit less cool, a bit less intimidating, a bit less herself. My answer, of course, was a resounding "NO" because if somebody is going to be a dick to you about who you are (especially somebody close to you), then FUCK THEM. It is absolutely, 100%, their problem. I gave my brother a 1500 dollar laptop for his birthday. It bought me two days of pleasantry. Now he's back to being a perpetual douche and you know what? The knowledge that I don't have to live in his insecure, bitter skin is reward enough for me.

So if you're ever down because somebody's dumping on you, realize this: THEY ENVY YOU, on some capacity or another. If they didn't, they'd just ignore you. And odds are, if someone's a dick to you unprovoked, then you're a better person than they are so find solace in that. 

With that, I'm back to bed, but I leave you a parting gift. 

RUFUS AND CHAKA KAHN'S "TELL ME SOMETHING GOOD"







No comments: